Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Stuck on Almost?

Today I had planned on talking about some of the things a person should include in their marketing proposal for an editor/agent, but then something happened last night.

I got frustrated.

Do you ever get that way? You feel like you're working so hard, but not getting any further. It seems all the study, the effort, the practice, is getting you no further.

You want to write a great story but when you finish you get nothing but blank expressions from your reader. Or even worse, you get gushing that you know is unmerited.

Then you sit down to read a book, to learn a little about craft, and this published book is AWFUL. "How in the WORLD did this think make it in print, let alone on the best-seller list?" You resist the urge to throw it across the room, instead opting to toss it on the table and go in the other room.

That was my evening last night [except I was listening to a book on tape].

I wanted to encourage all of you who are stuck at ALMOST

ALMOST published
ALMOST a requested full manuscript
ALMOST able to go to writer's conferences
ALMOST done with your first manuscript
ALMOST happy with your writing

ALMOST ready to give up...

Every writer has been there. It is the successful ones who push through that "ALMOST" and write better because of it.

Tomorrow we will talk about marketing, today I needed to stop and blog to myself.

I'll see you tomorrow, today I have more learning to do.

Your coach for the journey, Tiffany Colter

2 comments:

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Thank you for that advice.

Gina Conroy said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm almost ready to send my WIP off to two agents!