Friday, March 7, 2008

Writers are readers part 2

As I promised last Friday, today we will talk about why you needed to keep track of all you were doing.

I hope as you've read each blog this week [well, since Friday] you have begun to combine the information I've given you. The goal was helping you increase your organization.

Friday we talked about keeping track of all you are doing

Monday we talked about organizing your writing and writing ideas

Tuesday I encouraged you to establish some form of a routine

Thursday I said to stick with what works.

Now, let's tie it all together.

By first understanding how you are wasting nuggets of time you can combine those and create "more time" in your day. I did this by NOT sitting with my email open. I also turned off the noise that beeped or clicked every time an email popped in my box.

Then sit down and do things by project. If your brain needs to constantly change, organize it in to mini-projects with frequent breaks [NOT to check email, breaks like stretching or getting a glass of water]. Stay focused on your task.

So what is your task? We talked about that with the Monday blog. By having a folder system you can take the small moments of time and create productive work. If you have 30 minutes carved out of your busy schedule you don't have to worry if you have complete writer's block. Pick a folder. Do marketing, do revising, do writing-no more wasting time.

Then create a winning routine. I don't know how much scientific evidence there really is to support it, but I believe your brain gets in routines. If you ALWAYS read before bed, a book becomes a signal for your body to relax. If you always sip on gatorade before working out, your body preps to workout when you drink Gatorade. At least that is how my mind works.

So create some "creative signal" for your mind. Use a particular mug, listen to music [personally I usually have 2-3 songs on each novel that help me 'hear' my characters. Without fail, if I hear it on the radio I suddenly hear chattering in my head.] or work in a particular spot.

Then when you find that formula STICK TO IT. My husband and I have found it takes 6 weeks of consistently doing the same thing at the house for things to start to see an improvement. The 4th week is usually the toughest because you've been putting forth the effort, it is getting stale, but the results haven't quite happened. But once we push through that 6th week...WOW. Things starts moving.

So set up the creative routine. Set up your marketing routine. Set up your speaking routine.

Take what you're learning and tie it all together. Don't compartmentalize and say "wow, cool idea" and shelve it away. Use it to build EVERY area of your life.

Hmm, wonder if this helps with housework. :-) [Actually, it does. Check out FlyLady if you don't believe me.]

Your coach for the journey, Tiffany Colter

No comments: