Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Do it bored.

What in the world do I mean by that?

My pastor likes to say "If you want something done, give it to someone who is busy."

I've noticed at times when I'm extremely busy I can get far more done than I can when I have a good deal of time.

Many writers learn this when they start writing full time. They plan on writing a novel in a month. Back when they were working full-time they never had time to write. OHHH but now, now they will have 7 hours each day to commit fully to writing.

Well, after they read this email. And have a cup of coffee with the neighbor. Oh my, I didn't realize how dusty this cabinet was. I need to throw the roast in the crockpot. The school bus is here already. "Kids get your homework done." Hi honey, how was work. I need to wash up these dishes.

Where did the day go?

I know, this sounds more like a time management lesson than "do it bored" but here is what I meant by that.

Many of these activities we do because we get bored. We check an email because we're lonely. We read another blog so we can connect with someone else. We read and read but never write.

I find it is because, after a while, I get bored with my characters. I love them to death; they're a part of me, but I've read the story too much. I'm blind to the initial excitement.

That is where the work of writing begins. That is when you sit down and say "This isn't a whim. I WANT to be published." When you've given all you think you have to a story, but you know there is more, you have to get up and dig deeper in to the characters.

The willingness, and ability, to continue to write when the excitement is gone. That is what separates the haves [or wills] from the won'ts.

Tomorrow I'm going to post about my great trip to Columbus, OH to speak to ACFW's Ohio group. I also have a photo of all of us. I hope you'll come over and tell someone to join us.

Your coach for the Journey, Tiffany Colter

No comments: