Thursday, March 6, 2008

Stick with what works [or Following my own advice]

Do you know why I tell all of you to follow my advice?

Because it works.

So then, why in the world don't I follow it myself. Laugh.

Actually, most days I do. As I've said time and time again, I don't advise you to do something until I've tried it and seen positive results. If I tell you to do something that I've NOT tried, I make it clear that I haven't tried it.

So when 2008 started we were experiencing phenomenal growth. There were literally more offers coming to me than I had time to fulfill. I was overwhelmed with blessing in my business. Not only that, I was excited to see the sphere of influence of my blog growing faster than I thought possible.

So as many successful people do...I changed everything.

That is disastrous. As successful people have learned over and over, once you find success in a plan...stick to that plan.

Why do we change things when they're going well? I think it is because we think "If this went well, this will go SUPER well." It is like a successful salesman who suddenly stops calling on clients because he has such a large client base. Suddenly he finds that client base disappearing.

Or the writer who does so well at their craft that they start to "cut corners" to their usual process. They get an inferior result.

When I'm teaching math to my kids I always urge them "Use the process. Don't use shortcuts." When determining slope y=mx+b. That is the equation. Write the values you have...then solve for those you don't have. It is when you THINK you know the answer that you make silly mistakes.

I urge you to take chances and try new things as you're learning. However, once you find a winning combination KEEP DOING IT as long as it is producing results. There will come a time when you do need to change [For that time I suggest you read Who Moved My Cheese? An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life A 100 page book I've read over and over again.]

But until that time comes, keep doing what will bring success. And once you begin to get success KEEP DOING IT.

Now, I'm going back to what made me successful. And I'll report the results to you-faithful readers. :-)

Your coach for the Journey, Tiffany Colter


No comments: