Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Today Do Something

Hello,

As I told you yesterday, we're going to focus a bit on resources to help our business. I do want to take today's blog to issue a caution.

There are two reasons for inactivity: You know too little or you know too much.

When I was in sales my trainer used to say "Ignorance on fire is better than knowledge on Ice." That is very true in many respects. The less you know, the fewer excuses you have for not accomplishing what you'd like to do.

However, there is something to be said for knowledge. If that weren't the case I wouldn't spend hours every single week studying and writing for this blog. I know that the surest way to your dreams is to stand on the shoulders of those who have gone before you.

So while you're taking time to read blogs and study the industry, take time to DO it too. DO the industry. Write stories, send queries, collect rejection letters.

It's all a part of the process of growing as a writer.

Do not make the mistake of learning so much that you are always waiting for the perfect time.

Now is the perfect time, go out and reach your dreams.

Your coach for the journey, Tiffany Colter

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Tiffany,

I had to smile when I read your post as it describes me so well. Because I am detail-oriented, I often want to get the ins and outs down before I do something. Invariably, I end up paralysed because I don't know what to do first with all the knowledge I've accumulated.

Thanks for the reminder that knowledge isn't worth much unless you're taking action with what you know. :-)

Suzanne