Monday, June 1, 2009

Lather, Rinse, Repeat


As I said on Friday, the key to reaching success is simply taking steps. A few of you posted in the comment section what your weekend goals were and some of you emailed me to let me know privately, but other people wrote to tell me that weekends are times when they take a break from writing.

I respect that. I don't want any "9-5" writers to feel left out so I've decided that we are going to repeat our accountability for this week, however I'm going to modify it a bit. Write down the top 3 things you want to be SURE to accomplish this week. I don't want the whole weeks to do list but simply those few things that simply must be accomplished this week to keep you on track with your writing.

I will begin:

This week I need to do some market research for my speaking.
This week I need to turn in 10 articles that are due.
This week I need to finish outlining my latest book and write the first chapter.

We won't do this every week but it is a useful exercise to give an extra push periodically. In fact, I have spent a great deal of time over these last few weeks reading books for Writing Career Coach. These books will be the foundation of some upcoming blogs. These will focus on the things that successful businesses did to create lasting success in their individual businesses. It will also look at ways to help increase your readership by learning how to connect with your main readers. There are some exciting nuggets to share. I hope you'll join us, link to us and digg us.

And feel free to share your thoughts with us. We'd love to hear from you.

And everyone that posted their goals on Friday, how did you do?

Tiffany Colter is a writer, speaker and writing career coach who works with beginner to published writers. She can be reached through her website at www.WritingCareerCoach.com
Tiffany is a speaker and teacher. Find out about available topics for your group's next event.
Tiffany is a National Examiner. Read her articles here.
Learn more about Tiffany's Marketing techniques on her main blog.
Common-sense money management is free at The Balanced Life website. [www.TheBalancedLife.com]
Read Tiffany's award winning manuscript "A Face in the Shadow" on her fiction blog. [http://tiffanycolter.blogspot.com]
She writes a blog for the Christian writer Tuesdays at Writer's Rest.[http://writersrest.blogspot.com]

1 comment:

David A. Todd said...

Well, I did fair:

- Evaluate the Chicago Tribune Publishers Row Lit Fair. I'm going to be in Chicago to attend it (at the invitation of our son), but I need to study the on-line information about it to determine if it has any opportunities for a wannabe writer to sell anything, or work on relationships. If need be begin to prepare materials for to take to the fair. I did my evaluation, and found a number of publishers who will be exhibiting that I should stop by and see. This took much longer than I thought, so didn't get a chance to prepare materials to take.- continue evaluating four possible markets for freelancing. I only did a little bit of this, for two markets, and not a lot of time.- work on a Bible study that I set aside a couple of months ago; outline five lessons; write two or three. I did about 2/3 of this, I estimate.- write 500 to 1000 words in my second novel, just to remember what book writing is like. Wrote 500 words, no more.