Monday, July 21, 2008

Wisdom from a Ketchup Bottle

Okay, it is likely you guys are really beginning to question my sanity. First I blog at length on how a horror film taught me about understanding your target readership and now I'm talking about Ketchup.

Well, you're not alone. When my husband saw me pull out my pen and planner last weekend to copy something off of a bottle of ketchup he thought me a little odd too. Although he should know me by now, yesterday [July 20th] we celebrated our 12th wedding anniversary. Doesn't feel that long. Still remember what it was like to be so young and so in love...probably because I'm still both.

Okay, back to ketchup.

Here is what I saw on the back of a bottle of Heinz Ketchup "To do a common thing uncommonly well brings success." Henry John Heinz.

WOW, did you see that? The man who started a ketchup company [that is still around and easily recognizable all these years later] said that doing something uncommonly well bring success. How amazing!!

I'm a person who loves quotes. I think they really get to the core of a person's success. Like Thomas Edison who said [among other things] "Many of life's failures are pepole who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." Any writers out there that need to hear that today??? Don't give up!!

Now Thomas Edison was a man known for creating new things. He was an inventor. He was an innovator. Many people will say "Well, I could never do that." I've felt that way too. I'm human!

But look at what Heinz said. You don't have to try to make something new. Write a strong book. Study marketing. Have a plan to execute. Know the benchmarks and targets. Then pursue it with all the passion you can muster. Don't earn out your advance GO IN TO A THIRD PRINTING! Take something that other people are doing and be the BEST at it.

Don't say you can't do it-figure out HOW to do it.

I spoke tonight for about an hour with my 4 girls on this very topic tonight. Every word we say is a seed. The Bible says that out of the abundance of our heart, our mouth speaks. So we really know what is inside of us by what we say when squeezed. Conversely we can CHANGE what comes out of our mouth by filling our heart with great stuff.

Go out there and find out what is being done. Then find out how to do it better. Don't do it to BEAT someone, do it because you want to be successful. Remember, this is NOT a zero sum game. Your innovation and perspiration will inspire others. They will then look at your example and they will seek to go even further. They will want to do what you did...but even better!

So what have you seen and said "Wow, that is a pretty clever idea."? How can you do that even better without being them?

I mean, honestly, if someone can do it for Ketchup [how many ways can you REALLY mix vinegar, tomatoes and spices??] then can't you do it to market your writing? Of course, you can. You're in the creativity business.

Now quit talking and get moving!!

Your coach for the journey, Tiffany Colter

1 comment:

Story and Logic Media Group said...

Okay I had to actually come over to the site to comment on this one. You are amazing and thanks you for bringing this profound message from Bro Hinze.

The post inspired me.
Thank you