Tuesday, July 15, 2008

This is what it's all about

Yesterday I stepped away from what I had planned to blog on to take a moment to give some tough love.

To be honest I was really a bit nervous about it. I figured the hate mail would pour in explaining how I didn't understand how tough it was etc....etc....etc...

But I knew in my gut that it was exactly what I should do. I should step back from the pep talk and the information giving and just BE REAL.

If you haven't read yesterday's blog, you should. Here is the link in case you are reading this blog on another person's blog.

This does have a marketing application! Sometimes you have to throw out the plan and make adjustments as you go along.

Don't worry, I'm not saying don't HAVE a plan. I'd NEVER suggest that. Even now as I blog to you I have my calendar with my to-do list and marketing plan for the week sitting about 8 inches from my left arm.

What I am saying, is we need to be flexible enough to adjust the plan if it needs to be changed midstream. When I think about what would have happened if I hadn't trusted my gut and given some tough love yesterday...

I truly was so blessed to hear the kind words begin to pour in almost immediately after posting. I realized that despite the miles, we all have a connection here. There is a sense of real community.

Sharon told that she reads every day. That kind of trust is both humbling and encouraging.
Tracy and Carol thanked me for the kick in the pants.
Dianne....you have no idea how encouraging your note was Dianne. You were going to unsubscribe but didn't after reading that post.

See, my blog is one that doesn't ask for comments. I don't give out gifts for reading [usually] and I simply try to offer advice based on my own reading and learning. But there are days when I wonder if ANYONE is out there or if I'm typing to myself.

That is the kind of connection you want to make to your readers as you write and market your writing. You want them to come because you are giving excellent information in a personable way. Whether that is through a prairie romance or a sci-fi set in 3015.

And just like you, many readers will remain almost silent. You'll receive the occasional letters telling you that you misspelled a word or that they were sorry they ever wasted their money on your book.

What you won't see are the unseen masses out there quietly reading and loving your words.

So be encouraged as you market. Trust your instinct whether it tells you to follow the plan, or to throw it away.

I have to go!! I have more writing to do.

Your Coach for the Journey. Tiffany Colter

3 comments:

Dianne said...

Yes, you're on the right track here. Keep it coming!

Jules said...

I've just found your blog and so far I like what I've seen - tough love post and all. I'll be back.

Story and Logic Media Group said...

Thanks Tiff