Monday, July 7, 2008

Time Management for Writers

As writers there is the tendency to want to wait for "our muse". When you're in a creative endeavor you have to wait until your creativity is flowing right???

Wrong.

As I have always promised you, I always share with you things that I've done to help me become successful and productive. I teach what I practice. I don't tell you to try a new product hoping to make money on affiliate fees. I share only what I'm doing and I share the results it gives me.

I started two weeks ago to change my entire schedule. I had really become frustrated that I wasn't accomplishing more and so I took a look at what I was doing. It seemed I was doing everything I'd done before. I spent a few hours each evening on my writing. I kept track of word count, projects and deadlines. I kept a calendar and knew my budget.

So WHY wasn't I moving forward? Why did it seem that I was STUCK?!?!

I decided to start changing one thing at a time. Just one. I changed the time of day set aside for writing.

I was SHOCKED! My productivity soared. It took about 3 days to get used to the new schedule but by the end of that first week I could already feel more motivation to write and market. Really it is motivation, not some elusive muse, that defines great writing.

By the second day of the second week I took an inventory of all I had accomplished. I realized in those two days I had done more than I had done [in my writing] in the previous 3-4 weeks. Not only that but I'd also been in a better mood, had more time with my kids and had time for a date evening with my husband [rather than watching a movie with my laptop dividing my attention].

So look over your calendar and see if there is ONE thing that steals your time. If you don't see something stealing your time see if there is ONE thing that isn't as productive as you'd like. Make a small adjustment and be sure to keep track of the changes it makes to your productivity. Give it a couple of weeks before you decide whether or not it was successful. Then decide if further adjustments are necessary.

If you'd like to know more about time management or how to find time for your writing/editing business you can sign up for my time management class through the Christian PEN. I will be teaching it starting July 21st.

I will let you know soon the financial results of my increased productivity but I can tell you that last week I earned $100 more than I had the week before with my writing-and I expect when I hear back on queries that number will be far higher!

I have to go, I have writing to do.

Your Coach for the Journey, Tiffany Colter

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tip! Time management is a huge issue for me, so I'm always looking for ways to be a better steward of my time.

Your Coach for the Journey, Tiffany Colter said...

I'm so glad it was helpful. It really is THE KEY to success.