Monday, May 5, 2008

United in Vision

I spent a good deal of time this last weekend working on collaboration projects in addition to my regular article writing and Novel writing. During these extra busy times I like to sit down at the end of the day to talk to my husband. The guy is really smart when it comes to marketing. He reads as more marketing and business development books as I do Marketing and reading books combined. That makes him a really great person to bounce ideas off of. I am also blessed that, for the most part, he is honest with me when I write something REALLY awful.

I also got an email from a friend of mine. We check in with each other a few times a week [or every single day when we're trying to hide from our to-do lists. Right Susan :-) ] She was checking in, encouraging me, telling me what she's working on, and warned me about a problem with my email getting kicked back.

I got a text message with someone I'm collaborating with. He was telling me some exciting news that lifted my spirits on a day when I knew I was going to spend an entire afternoon in a lonely corner of a library trying to get a few things finished.

Next, I talked to a person that I'm writing a book with. We were trying to push through a small problem in our writing. We spent a few hours this weekend talking, then we prayed.

And now I'm sitting at my computer. I have so many things that I'm juggling and I'm always asked how I do it. I realized, it is because of all of these people, and so many more not mentioned, that I'm able to accomplish what I am. There's my mom who takes the kids for an evening or a fellow writer who looks at the 4th version of an opening, each almost the same as the previous, with as much enthusiasm as the first time. Countless people.

All united in a singular vision.

I realize that I've worked hard to get where I am. I've spent over 6 years studying my craft, learning marketing and business, tweaking, blogging, talking, crying, giving up...and starting again.

But what has really allowed me to move forward is that I have a group of people who are United in the Vision that I have. They kick me in the pants when I'm making up excuses, and they hold my hand when I'm terrified of failure. They lovingly say "I think you should rewrite this", and they honestly applaud when I win an award.

So to start out this new week, think about where your support system is. If you're not in a group I believe American Christian Fiction Writers, ACFW, is the BEST for anyone who wants to write fiction. I learned more there in the first six months than I had in the years prior to that.

Find a local writer's group [those of you in groups, please post their names in the comments section of this blog. I'd like for other members of this group to find you!!!]

Find someone to unite with you in your vision of being an author! That is what will help push you that last little bit-and could mean the difference between reaching your dreams, and almost reaching them.

And now, as Red Green would say, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together!!

Your coach for the Journey, Tiffany Colter

No comments: