Monday, May 12, 2008

Economic Downturn = Opportunity to Grow

Hello

Well, it may seem that I'm starting this week on a fairly sour note, but rest assured. I'm not.

In fact, I was reflecting this weekend on the times when I've really made huge strides in my life and, for the most part, they were during periods of NEED. Yep-despite what I always thought, I wrote best when I had a need.

When I NEEDED to get the story out of my mind.
When I NEEDED to sell an article to buy groceries.
When I NEEDED to believe in my gift of writing again.

Right now Economic Downturns are in the news. Despite a slow growth in the first quarter, most people believe we are in a recession. But I never was one to go with the flow. I am a marketing person and I seek to keep my eye to trends, but I don't allow them to dictate my future to me.

That is part of my personality. I did great in college, graduating with a 3.9 cum GPA from the Honors College at my university, simply because in my first term when I got a 3.4 in my first term someone told me that I'd never get a higher GPA.

I guess I like proving people wrong.

So what about you? Do you allow circumstances and the market to DICTATE TO you, or do you take the information you learn from the market and apply it to your strengths to make you stronger?

Think about it. Truly, understanding whether you use circumstances as information or as an excuse will make a huge difference in where you end up.

I have to go. I have writing to do.

Your Coach for the Journey, Tiffany Colter

No comments: