Monday, January 19, 2009

Aspiring Writer, Big Dreams

Lauri Pierce is another aspiring writer in my coaching program. She shares what she is doing to grow as a writer in this post.

WCC: One thing you have done recently to improve your craft?
LP: I'm reading (and am almost done!) this great book called Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maass.

WCC: What are some things you're doing to market even before you're published?
LP: I have started a blog and intend to send and inform family and friends of the site to get it out there and growing. I'm also planning to post the address on Facebook and Myspace, and possibly a few forums. From there, who knows where else! Perhaps bumper stickers? Lol ;)

WCC: What genre do you write and how did you become interested in it?
LP: Good question... I don't really have one specific genre though. Right now, I have a historical fiction, a thriller, a fantasy/allegory, and plain fiction in the works. I also enjoy writing nonfiction articles when a neat idea comes. Above all though, and perhaps this is what you were looking for, the similarity between them is the same. They are Christ based and/or have an uplifting message. Meaning, to me, is very important.

I became interested in these and writing in general by reading.

WCC: If you had to give one piece of advice to someone just starting out as an author, what would it be?
LP: If you have a passion to write, you can do it! It will take time and effort on your part, but it is possible. And NEVER (if I could double underline this, I would) let anyone tell you otherwise.

WCC: Do you have a blog/website? What is the theme and the address?
LP: Indeed, I do! The theme is God, writing, and life (and all three combined). I might give some advice on things I've learned about writing one day, talk about something that really struck or touched me in life the next, and then share something God did in the following. The ideas are boundless -as is life. The address is http://laurislacuna101.blogspot.com/.

Lauri, Thank you so much for sharing with us.

Tiffany Colter is a writer, speaker and writing career coach who works with beginner to published writers. She can be reached through her website at www.WritingCareerCoach.com
Learn more about Tiffany's Marketing techniques on her main blog.
Read Tiffany's award winning manuscript "A Face in the Shadow" on her fiction blog.
She writes a blog for the Christian writer Tuesdays at Writer's Rest.

So what about all of you? January is nearly over, what have you been doing to build your writing. Leave a comment.

No comments: