Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Internships now open

Well I promised it weeks ago and it is finally here. The Writing Career Coach Internship program.

I am very excited to announce this program for writers, and aspiring writers, to learn some of the things that have built my business SO fast. I decided to reduce the time committment a bit to make it more conducive to people who work full time.

What are the benefits of internships?
Whether this internship, or another, internships are useful because they help you learn not only specific skills of a particular trade but also the order and structure of a business. For example, you may learn about daily news briefings from a journalism course but you may not understand when and where they're structured, how questions are asked and answered or how to get noticed until you've been a part of that environment. That is why so many employers want experience in a trade before they hire you. "But how do I get experience if no one will give me a shot?" Internships, for many, can be that shot.

How do they benefit writers?
I can't speak for other internships but for my interns the benefits are many fold. There are a series of specific things that I did to help grow Writing Career Coach. I learned them over years of reading, researching and applying what I learned. The growth of my writing business has made it such that I'm not able to do all of these things myself any more. Therefore, students learn exactly what it is I do. My sincere hope is that, once their internship is done, they will be able to duplicate my success.

What is my commitment?
As an intern you commit to complete each of the assigned tasks in the time given. You must also turn in reports to me so that I can monitor results of each task. This helps me best advise you how to apply this to your own business later and also helps me adjust the internship program.

Should I have interns myself?
If you have already established your own writing business and would like to take on interns as well then you have two reasons to join my program: to learn how to build your business, and to learn how to train interns. I have a non-disclosure but you are able to read full details when you sign up. You are allowed, and encouraged, to duplicate what I do with interns of your own. [provided you have something to teach them.]

What must I do to apply?
To apply for the internship simply email me through the website www.WritingCareerCoach.com In the email tell me of any experience you have writing, what your personal writing goals are and goals for the program. I need to know that you can commit up to a maximum of 5-7 hrs per week for 10 weeks to the program. I will typically assign a task at the beginning of the week and ask for the report on a set day at the end of the week. If there is a holiday during the week, we will skip that week.

Is there any payment?
As with most internship programs there is no payment directly HOWEVER as I said when I announced the internship program I will have a customized debriefing where I will help you learn how to apply what we did to your own business. That means helping you with editing a WIP, putting together a proposal and a one sheet [a $600 value]. I offer this ONLY to people who complete the entire program because I'm also teaching all of you to be finishers...not starters.

So I look forward to hearing from you and getting to know a small group of you better as interns. And you are welcome to post this information on any blogs or forums you are part of. PLEASE no SPAMMING!!

Your Coach for the Journey, Tiffany Colter

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tiff, I quelled my nerves long enough to apply for your internship program. I'm so excited for you that you're at this point in your career.
Blessings,
Carol Collett