It is not often that I'm able to blog about a paying market that is currently looking for writers but I am thrilled to be able to tell you about one today. For aspiring writers one of the biggest steps on your path to publication is getting bylines. This is an important affirmation and gives you valuable experience working with editors and working under a deadline.
The first few years as a full-time writer I wrote many free articles. Blogs weren't all the rage at that point [although they were growing in popularity] but I did write for a local paper that had a readership of more than 50,000 people. I learned interview techniques as well as how to work with my editor on an assignment.
But now writers have opportunities to reach far more readers. Before I give the contact information for this paying market I want to again revisit the purpose of writing articles.
1. Articles help you reach your potential readership. If your stories center around interesting historical facts in your area [say, the history of Eastern Tennessee] then you'd do well to have articles written that will be read by others interested in that area or era. That way you gain credibility and when your novel is released you have an interested audience. Likewise, if your books center around dogs [rescue dogs, service dogs, or dogs with unusual personalities] then writing articles for dog lovers will give you a chance to build relationships with potential readers.
2. Articles help improve your craft. In an article you must write succinctly. You learn an economy of words. This is even more crucial when writing online where you want to maintain 500 words or less in most cases.
3. Articles give you a chance to share all of those interesting stories you have as a result of your research. You've spent so much time learning about this, share your knowledge with others passionate about the same topic.
So, where is this market? The Examiner. It is an online article database that PAYS for articles. I am the national writing examiner. You can read my most recent article here.
The great thing about this market it not only does it pay but they pay you based on your traffic. They teach you how to market your articles. So, what does that mean???
YOU GET PAID TO LEARN A SKILL YOU NEED ANYWAY!!
Yes, it is all coming together now. All that I've taught you about getting paid by someone else to learn a skill you need. All that I've said about articles to build your platform. It all happens here! I'm so excited about this, I wanted to be sure it was true before I told you about it. I am thrilled to say, it is!
So, I'd like to encourage you to sign up and begin to build your skills. [The link is below read the 3 important things below before you do.] Sign up for local spots if you'd prefer to build a local platform. Remember, you don't have to focus on writing. Keep in mind what I've taught you before about reaching out to your potential market.
There are a few important things to know before you apply:
1. There is an application process. This is not a blog. You must apply for the position which will take about 20-30 minutes. You need to provide a writing sample and fill out an application.
2. You need to have an article ready to go live. If you are accepted they will want you to put up an article fairly quickly. Be ready with something that is about 400 words so that you can begin earning immediately. I'm earning money already...it is VERY exciting.
3. Let them know that I referred you. There are 3 reasons I ask this. First, there is a referral bonus that they give people. I heard about this from another writer and put her name in [not realizing she got a bonus for it.] Once I started and realized that I'd given her a bonus I was glad I took the time to put in her name. Remember, my name is spelled Tiffany Colter. Second reason, if you put me down as the one who referred you they contact me that you went live. I want to follow your articles so once I see your page up I will click to follow you. That allows me to tweet, comment and otherwise help you with your new fame!! And third, I want to talk to all of you who become Examiners. I want to write an article on what you learned your first 4-6 weeks. The best way for me to keep track will be those Examiner emails.
Here is the link to the topics they currently want filled.
I know that many authors have been burned by article sites that say they will pay and then don't. So far I have been incredibly impressed by the professionalism and follow through of the Examiner staff. They have answered all my emails [and even called me to tell me they liked my article and to see if I had any questions]. It is rare that I've been treated with this much courtesy early on.
So, I hope that I'll see 20 or 30 of your names popping in my email this week to tell me that you are the newest Examiners!!
And even if you aren't ready to take the plunge and work as a regular writer, check out this article on building your readership.
Tiffany Colter is a writer, speaker and writing career coach who works with beginner to published writers. She can be reached through her website at www.WritingCareerCoach.com
Tiffany is a speaker and teacher. Find out about available topics for your group's next event.
Tiffany is a National Examiner. Read her articles here.
Learn more about Tiffany's Marketing techniques on her main blog.
Common-sense money management is free at The Balanced Life website. [www.TheBalancedLife.com]
Read Tiffany's award winning manuscript "A Face in the Shadow" on her fiction blog. [http://tiffanycolter.blogspot.com]
She writes a blog for the Christian writer Tuesdays at Writer's Rest.[http://writersrest.blogspot.com]