Monday, December 8, 2008

Blogger's Block

This time of year the chaos of holiday shopping, family gatherings and general stress can contribute to writer's block.

Just as in any job, we can't put off our writing simply because we don't feel like putting in a day at the office, so what are some things you can do when writer's block strikes?

1. Read

Take some time to not only read a good book but read things that will help you with your specific project. I am using the holidays to complete research on the book I'm plotting right now.

2. Research markets

In addition to reading and research take some time to find out what the various markets are looking for. I write a fair number of articles in addition to my books so I take this time of year to find markets that I'd like to write for.

3. Edit

What are the things you've been working on? Pull a couple down and mark them up. Even if you don't feel creative enough to make the corrections you can find them.

4. Learn to push through

Sometimes you have no other choice than to push through the writer's block and find the words buried deep.

Tiffany Colter is a writer, speaker and writing career coach who works with beginner to published writers. She can be reached through her website at www.WritingCareerCoach.com
Learn more about Tiffany's Marketing techniques on her main blog.
Read Tiffany's award winning manuscript "A Face in the Shadow" on her fiction blog.

3 comments:

Katie Hart - Pinterest Manager said...

This post is about writer's block. What do you do when you can't come up with anything to blog about anymore?

Tracy Ruckman said...

Great post, Tiffany!

Sometimes, I just have to get completely away from all the writing and creating and do something different to help push through - for writer's and blogger's block.

I'll go cook something that takes some effort, or go for a drive, or grab my camera and go shoot some pictures. Anything to get away - that seems to unclog the pipes to my brain!

Your Coach for the Journey, Tiffany Colter said...

Katie,

I hope the post I put up today 12/9 helps you with your question. Thanks for taking the time to comment.