Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Using what you're learning

The vast majority of writers I meet don't use 1/4 of what they learn. I know this because I'm human and until recently I fell in to this trap.

I read and learn a great deal so I always have information to share with all of you but, at times, I enter sensory overload and can't remember what I've read, what I've told you and what I've come up with on my own.

There is so much available information every day how can we possibly apply it?

Well, I came up with a REALLY simple solution. Here are the supplies you'll need:

Looseleaf paper
A three-ring binder
dividers [whether a sheet of colored paper or tabs]
A three-hole punch

I put the articles I have read in the three ring binder [or if I don't print them, I write the link on a sheet of paper]

I divide them by topic so if one is on marketing and another is on running a book signing they go in separate areas. I also name the section.

I hope it is obvious what the 3-hole punch is for.

NOW here is the important part. I take a piece of loose-leaf paper and I write ONE or TWO ideas from the articles that I will implement immediately and one or two for later. I keep that sheet of paper in the front of the binder.

SO Let's say I have an article I printed off the internet called "Marketing ideas that are great". I put it in my "marketing" section of my 3 ring binder. It is the 7th article in there so it it "Marketing 7". Here is what I'd write on that loose-leaf paper in the front:

Marketing 7- Tell three people about my upcoming blog and ask them what questions I've left unanswered.

Then, DO IT.

This helps because instead of being one of many great ideas that flutter away you have a specific course of action to take. Also, once you've done that you can re-read the articles [since they're not lost somewhere in your office] and see if there is a second or third action step to implement.

So try it. See if it helps you take meaningful action on the things you're learning.


Your Coach for the Journey, Tiffany Colter

Tiffany Colter is a writer, speaker and writing career coach who works with beginner to published writers. She can be reached through her website at www.WritingCareerCoach.com
Learn more about Tiffany's Marketing techniques on her main blog.
Read Tiffany's award winning manuscript "A Face in the Shadow" on her fiction blog.

No comments: