Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The first 3 pages: Part 5


I hope this series of short blogs has helped you develop the opening pages of your book. I have given you quite a few assignments and asked many questions. I hope it made you want to look at many books in many genres. I hope it will improve your craft in those first crucial pages.

And most of all I hope you learned from my technique.

I always seek to show rather than tell my readers. That is because I am first and foremost an author. It is in my blood. Did you see how I left unanswered questions from the first day up until today? Some I answered right away [how we will use this will be described tomorrow] others were taken throughout the entire “work” of this blog series [What are the things I need to do to engage my reader? What is the valuable lesson about showing vs. telling?]

I modeled the techniques that every writer must use. I hope they have been useful to you [and for those Non-fiction writers who may have wondered on day one how this would help them, I hope I’ve now answered that as well. These 5 blogs weren’t fiction.]

Tiffany Colter is a writer, speaker and writing career coach who works with beginner to published writers. She can be reached through her website at http://www.writingcareercoach.com/

Tiffany is a speaker and teacher. Find out about available topics for your group’s next event.

Tiffany is a National Examiner. Read her articles here.

Learn more about Tiffany’s Marketing techniques on her main blog.

Common-sense money management is free at The Balanced Life website.

Read Tiffany’s award winning manuscript “A Face in the Shadow” on her fiction blog.

She writes a blog for the Christian writer Tuesdays at Writer’s Rest.

2 comments:

Joanna Mallory said...

Thanks for these tips!

Your Coach for the Journey, Tiffany Colter said...

You're very welcome, Joanna. I hope they help.