Monday, January 28, 2008

Saving time and winning awards

Happy Monday

I'm sure some of you are wondering where I was this weekend. Sorry, I had problems getting online to post the interviews. I'll post it later tonight so you get a chance to see two postings today.

Today I'd like to share with you a way to help you save time reading blogs...by not reading them.

My husband ran across this great website "PimpMyNews". What this website does is use audio software to convert blogs in to audio files. It sounds a little robotic but I think it's great. Now I can listen to up to 10 blogs every day while I'm making lunch for my kids, cleaning off my desk, or driving in the car [by downloading it on my iPod]. This is a GREAT time saver.

In an effort to keep you guys updated quickly with great content I requested that they add my blog. I'm happy to announce Writing Career Coach has recently been added to their list of blogs you can listen to. Click the link below to try it out. And please, spread the word. This is a great time saving device and I hope many people will use it to learn from the blogosphere.

http://www.pimpmynews.com/SearchStories.aspx?searchterm=Writing%20Career%20Coach

I have two contests to announce. First, is the ACFW Genesis Contest. I am a judge in this contest so I know the amount of care that goes in to judging submissions. The contest is open to unpublished authors who are members of ACFW [you may join when you register your entry]. The fee is $35 but the best part is judges leave comments on your writing.

Here is the link: http://www.ACFW.com/genesis/

This is CBA [Christian Booksellers Association] so it reflects a Christian Worldview as well as no gratuitous gore, foul language, or open sex. CBA is one of the largest growing segments of publishing currently [at least that's been the trend over the last couple of years]. Many CBA houses are being purchased by mainstream publishing houses because of this. So you get high callibur judges to read through your work and help you see how to improve your Novel writing.

I also know some of you are already published [for both royalty and subsidy publishers]. For those of you who are self published I was just made aware of this contest:

http://links.mkt230.com/ctt?kn=1&m=815678&r=MjIwNDU5MTM1NQS2&b=0&j=NDQ1MDk1NjcS1&mt=1

I hope this will help you grow as a writer. We don't spend a great deal of time here talking about craft but none of this makes any sense if you don't have the craft to write a great book.

I have been feverishly working to get the mentorship website up. I hoped to go live tomorrow but I don't think I'll be able to do it AND eat, shower and sleep. :-)

So, if you'd like to be among the first to know about my new mentorship [and receive a special link that offers the first month at 60% off for you and anyone you'd like to share it with] be SURE you've subscribed to get this blog emailed to you. Here is the link: Subscribe to my blog: http://www.feedblitz.com/f/?Sub=267268

No matter when the website goes live my subscribers will hear first, those who visit my blog will find out the Tuesday AFTER the unveiling.

Oh, I am SOOO excited. Now, on with the story.


HIGH 17

So I turned 30, sent off my first requested full, and began living the writer's life.

How could it be better? Everyone I knew had read this story and said it was the best thing I'd ever written. It had flowed through my fingertips. It was meant to be.

Then it was March...My husband had just finished his 6th [and final] round of Chemo. [He had some really rough chemo. We called it Drano.] For some reason on this round he hadn't bounced back yet, even though it had been more than a week.

Then he developed a fever. This was worse. He was over 101 so I called the oncologist. He told me not to panic but to get Chris to the ER.

Just before we'd called the doc I had been introduced to the next phase of the writer's experience: Rejection of a completed Manuscript.

Thankfully since the doctor called only moments after getting the rejection I didn't have time to wallow in it.

We got Chris to the ER and found out he had pneumonia. He was able to go home with strong antibiotics and all was well.

Thankfully the worst of our cancer battle was behind us.

On my writing I wrote up a query and submitted it to a second publishing house.

But already the next book was starting...It would be the next major jump on my path to publication.

No comments: